No one intends on having a plumbing disaster, but there are several things you can do to avoid disaster. You can’t foresee or avoid all plumbing repairs, but some regular maintenance can save you hundreds—maybe thousands—on some of them. Below are a few helpful household tips to avoid expensive plumbing repairs.
- Toilets – DO NOT flush ANYTHING other than toilet paper down your toilet. Those “flushable” wipes are NOT flushable and will eventually cause a block in your plumbing.
- Tubs – You would be shocked how much hair you actually lose down your bathtub drains! To avoid having to call a plumber we suggest adding a small wire mesh basket to catch hair before it clogs the drain.
- Kitchen Sink/Garbage Disposal – The Kitchen is the second most common area for clogged drains because of all the items that get poured down them. We highly recommend disposing of your food by scraping your plates into the garbage or keeping a waste bucket to use for a compost pile for your garden to prevent future blockage.
- Washing Machine – To keep your discharge drain from getting clogged we suggest putting a screen attachment on the end of the drain hose. This will help block dirt, hair, lint and other build up.
- Broken pipes – To prevent broken pipes, don’t let your pipes freeze during the winter. One of the most common causes of broken pipes is frozen pipes. You can prevent frozen pipes by wrapping your pipes in heat tape and making sure they’re properly insulated. You can also let a small trickle of water run continuously when the weather is very cold to help prevent them from freezing.
If you want to avoid plumbing disasters, one of the best things you can do is to call a professional plumber to inspect your plumbing and for advice. However, if you do end up having a clog in your plumbing don’t worry because you are in good hands with American Freedom Plumbing! We have the knowledge and decades of experience to handle all types of plumbing situations big and small.